At St Liborius we strive to meet the needs of our children and their families. All staff and children are immersed in and use a common language and practices that build and develop Emotional Intelligence.
To continue growth in this area, staff members have trained to be RULER facilitators.
Training was completed with Professor Marc Brackett, director of the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence, co-creator of RULER and his team.
RULER is an acronym that stands for:
- Recognising emotions in self and others
- Understanding the causes and consequences of emotions
- Labeling emotions accurately
- Expressing emotions appropriately
- Regulating emotions effectively
This approach to Emotional Intelligence is based on the understanding that emotions matter.
Emotions matter because they:
- Drive our attention and learning
- Affect our decision-making and judgment
- Direct our relationship quality
- Shape our physical and mental health
- Guide our everyday effectiveness
All students have been part of the RULER program by using the first two anchors, the Class Charter and the Mood Meter. Each year every classroom creates their own Class Charter.
The Class Charter is:
- A jointly constructed vision for students and teachers for how they want to feel in their classrooms.
- Agreed upon behaviours
- Facilitates a sense of safety, comfort, belonging and empowerment to all
The Mood Meter:
- Represents two components of emotion: pleasantness and energy
- Assists with building emotional awareness of yourself and others
- Helps us to consider how emotions influence thinking, motivation, daily goals and behaviour
- Helps us understand all emotions are valid and adaptive when understood and managed effectively.